cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Geoff Howard <coc...@leverageweb.com>
Subject Re: Of One-man Efforts and the like
Date Fri, 20 Feb 2004 21:00:52 GMT
Scott Robert Ladd wrote:

> Hunsberger, Peter wrote:
>
>> Fair enough; reading between the lines, I guess you're partly saying
>> that prior versions of Jisp weren't robust enough to be readily adopted
>> by a community?
>

> Jisp began life as an accidental product. People found it in my books,
> and asked to license it. The book code was demonstrative; it had never
> been tested. Over the course of several years, I patched the code as
> best I could, but finally decided that the underlying core had serious
> flaws. Thus I did a major rewrite used by my few commercial customers,
> but not released as free code.
>
> As I've moved away from writing books (too much work for too little
> money), Jisp has taken on a new role as an advertisement. As such, I
> released the commercial version as free software (version 3.0), under
> the GPL and commercial license to emphasize that this is a product and
> not some hobbiest's weekend hack.
>
>> Wish I could put my money where my mouth is on this issue (so to speak);
>> at this point I have to drop out of the discussion...
>

> As is usual in life, the best people tend to have the least money. :)
>
> I would *love* to spend time working on projects like Apache -- but I
> haven't the luxury of free time. Do I think people can make money from
> working on free software? Certainly -- my primary contract right now
> is to write free software for a big British company (heh, they're
> outsourcing to America).
>
> And while money is nice, I'm also willing to consider various designs
> for mutually-beneficial arrangements.

Scott,

By and large the people here recognize your right (and everyone's right)
to do what you want with your code.  I appreciate your quandry and
position.  Apache projects (at least this one) have their own "religion"
valuing community - but not all projects translate well to community
ownership.  There may be some very real benefits to a community like
Cocoon to avoid single-person projects because they have a risk of
"disappearing" either by license change or by "retirement" etc.  Of
course these or similar risks exist in community-based projects, as well
as pure commercial projects.  I personally have been bitten by all three
of these poisons as have many here.  All that to say, I hope we haven't
gotten off on the wrong foot here.  Thanks for joining in the discussion
directly, and don't let our liveliness turn you off.

I'll add a brief comment and suggestion on the license-related thread.

Geoff