cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Scott Robert Ladd <coy...@coyotegulch.com>
Subject Re: Of One-man Efforts and the like
Date Fri, 20 Feb 2004 19:46:01 GMT
Hunsberger, Peter wrote:
> I think you miss the issue here: there's certainly no equivalency
> between "one-man-effort" and "open source".

This last week has seen some intense license conflicts between very
large open source projects: XFree86, Apache, and FSF/GNU have all made
choices that have lead to (or could lead to) changes in various
distributions. Changing licenses is not merely the province of "one man"
operations.

> It seems that on one hand
> you complain that you can't afford the time to provide free support for
> everyone using Jisp, then on the other you want people to accept code
> that has only you supporting it.

One reason for Jisp 3.0, by the way, was to reduce my support load. The
old version of Jisp was not "robust", to use a marketroid term.

> The solution to your (and the Cocoon
> communities) dilemma is not to have a restrictive license (as I think
> you agree), or to accept "one-man-efforts", but rather, to have a
> community supporting the code.  Once you have a community supporting the
> code you will personally no longer be "pestered" to provide free
> support.  (OTOH, as one of the primary developers of the code base you
> will be seen as having value for anyone willing to put up consultant
> dollars....)

Perhaps.

> Now, exactly, how you go about building a community is another question.
> But, it seems that perhaps some of the Cocoon project members might be
> willing to help?

I'm open to concrete suggestions.

..Scott

--