cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: cvs commit: cocoon-2.1/legal LICENSE.ant
Date Tue, 17 Feb 2004 00:43:51 GMT
On 16.02.2004 07:55, David Crossley wrote:

>>>All the Windows files you touched now seem to have a line ending issue.
>>
>>How I can solve this?
>
> Every time a UNIX-based committer receives files from somewhere
> else (for example Buzgilla Patch or another project) then they
> need to ensure that they do not have a Windows problem. Do a
> 'dos2unix' on the files to fix them.
>
> For a Windows-based committer, they may need to do the opposite
> (i do not know) and they definitely need to ensure that they
> have a proper CVS client that converts the line endings to the
> UNIX-style on commit.

 From the latest commit messages I found another reason for a line
ending issue: many text files were committed as binary files and are so
an almost guaranteed source of line endings problems. When committed
from Unix David's line endings test is passed, but you can't view the
files in Windows in little editors like notepad. When committed from
Windows David's test fails, he fixes it and you can again not view the
files in Windows. The problem is that binary files remain untouched when
committed to CVS and so the line endings that the CVS client should
handle in theory.

What's the stuff in CVS? It's called keyword substitution and for
binaries the value is set to -kb, for ASCII you have different
possibilities (keyword replacement, keyword expansion, keywords
untouched and some more), I simple chose the Eclipse default -kkv
(expansion). I don't know how to do this from command line, but I guess
simply by committing with the additional -kkv. I chose Eclipse (Team >
Change ASCII/Binary Property) and it was a bit of manual work (I felt
like in the game Diablo: click & fight, but here where no monsters, only
binary files ;). When adding 'CVS' to the label decorations (which I
have done to see easily which files are locally modified) you also see
whether the files are ASCII or binary - you only have to open and close
all directories. It would be good to get this work done automatically,
or at least the list of all binary files.

What can be done in future: Configure your CVS client correctly. From
the blocks and their initial committers you see problem candidates:

woody > htmlarea          Ugo
taglib
portal, portal-fw         Carsten
ojb                       Antonio
linotype                  Stefano
eventcache                Geoff

We must not add files with (for the server unknown) file endings add
"automatically", you must add them ASCII style (I know WinCVS has this
explicitely, but I don't know about Eclipse). Another option is of
course to set the file styles server side, but I don't know if we can do
it for every file ending (imagine the files in legal), but at least for
CSS, JS, XMAP, XROLES, XCONF, etc.

If David has observed the commits more deeper I guess many files were
known to him for dos2unix commits. When paying attention to the
ASCII/binary issue we will exempt him from this work to a certain extent
and he can invest his time on real Cocoon or Forrest features :)

Joerg