cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: Goal of the Cocoon TLP
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2004 11:28:58 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Upayavira wrote:
>
>> Steven Noels wrote:

>>> Thanks for all your comments & suggestions. Let's see how lyric I am
>>> today:
>>>
>>> "The Apache Cocoon Community Project fosters community-based
>>> exploration, design and implementation of web application frameworks
>>> with a focus on XML pipelining, centralized configuration mechanisms
>>> and separation of concerns through composability rather than
>>> programmability, by combining and adding onto existing Apache and
>>> other open source libraries. It hosts web application development
>>> frameworks, applications built on these frameworks, and development
>>> tools built for these frameworks and applications."
>>

>> Sounds good. Concern though is that it reads 'web-centric'. Whilst
>> Cocoon is 'primarily' about web publishing and applications, it is
>> not 'exclusively' about that. Get that in there somewhere, and I'll
>> be happy!
>

> It all depends on what we understand by "web". Considering the CLI
> (your pet Cocoon environment), the final target is web publishing,
> isn't it?

I wasn't really thinking of the CLI, because, as you say, it is 'web'
still. But there's the JMS stuff in CVS already, there 'could' be a
maillet environment at some point, and I don't want to see our goals
blocking those. Some small caveat is all that is needed.

> Now that's true that I also use the CocoonBean in a Swing application
> that has no relation to the web. But this seems very marginal to me.

Yup, but other environments _could_ come along that aren't so marginal.
And, IMO, our 'mission statement' needs to include all areas where we
'could reasonably' go, e.g. development tools (of which we have very few
at the mo).

Regards, Upayavira