cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>
Subject Re: Cleaning up unused namespace declaration
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2004 20:04:46 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Geoff Howard wrote:

..

>> Couldn't you also configure it to remove all ns without checking if
>> you know your output should have no other namespaces (as usually the
>> case with xhtml)?  That way you could avoid buffering in that special
>> but common case.
>

> We can filter out all namespaces in HTML, but not in XHTML, as we can
> have composite documents with foreing markup.

Geoff refers to *common case*, which does not have any foreign markup,
and you know this in advance. In this common case, it makes perfect
sense to save CPU cycles and dump all but xhtml namespaces, and have
configuration parameter like
    leave-one-ns-namespace-but-drop-all-others="http://.../xhtml"

For non-common scenarios, with different embedded namespaces etc, more
complicated handling should be used, total agreement here.

For common-case HTML serialization, all namespaces could be dropped,
including xhtml.

Vadim