cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject [OT] languages (was: Users list moderators)
Date Wed, 04 Feb 2004 01:00:23 GMT
On 03.02.2004 09:01, Jorg Heymans wrote:

>> The translation is quite simple as Dutch is a mixture of English and
>> German:
>
> hmmm some people would argue that english and german are really just
> spin-offs of Dutch (which itself is ofcourse a spin-off of Flemish - the
> mother of all languages)

I had this possible chauvinism in mind when writing the above, but I
wrote it and hoped nobody will feel offended.

>> Dutch   |   German   |   English
>> ik      |   ich      |   I
>> kan     |   kann     |   can
>> mijn    |   mein     |   my
>> pdf     |   pdf      |   pdf
>> niet    |   nicht    |   not
>> openen  |   öffnen   |   open
>>
>> kunt    |   kannst   |   can
>> u       |   du       |   you
>> mij     |   mir      |   me
>> hierbij |   dabei    |   with it
>> helpen  |   helfen   |   help
>>
> Correct! ("Können Sie" instead of "kannst du" but that's really minor
> detail).

Is it similar to the English "you can" where there is no difference
between singular and plural? I thought about it and "kunt u" sounds more
like the German singular.

> French and spanish bear the same similarities. (so I heard)

Yes, and Italian of course. These languages are based on Latin.

> French
>
> je
> ne
> peux
> pas
> ouvrir
> mon
> pdf
>
> pourriez
> vous
> m'
> aider

But this is not as readable and understable for me as the Dutch.

>> Joerg
>
> Jorg (even our names are similar!)
> :))

I'm also often named Jorg or Jeorg on these mailing lists, which is of
course not quite correct. In theory it's Jörg, but I use the US-ASCII
version with replacing ö with oe for avoiding problems in not character
encoding aware browsers, mail readers, mail archives, etc., e.g.
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?a=102665966700001&r=1&w=2.

Joerg