cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Cocoon HttpSession implement javax HttpSession
Date Tue, 03 Feb 2004 20:09:18 GMT
Geoff Howard wrote:

> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

>>> It already does actually implement it's non-deprecated methods but
>>> does not declare it, so cannot be cast or used polymorphic-ly.  See
>>> below trail from users for what seems to be valid use-case.
>>

>> Underlying Http* objects are already available [1] for the
>> integration with legacy applications, so there is no reason to hard
>> code dependency on Http* into the Cocon core. Vice versa, we are
>> trying to move away from this dependency, as far and as fast as
>> possible.
>

> Don't see how this would introduce any new core dependency - the
> affected class is in the http impl of env.  I'm aware of the legacy
> helpers below, but Session is not exposed.
>
> Are you saying the best-practice method of getting a javax HttpSession
> is to get the Request using the legacy helper methods below and call
> its getSession()?

I'd not use the word "best-practice" in this context. I'd say "If no
other way is possible... and you just have to have javax http classes...
here is javax HttpRequest/Response/etc for you, but don't tell anybody
else that it is available" ;-)

Those objects were exactly placed into the object model for purposes of
integration of legacy code relying on the
HttpServletRequest/Response/etc (or
ActionPortletRequest/RenderPortletRequest, if we are talking about
portlets).

Vadim