cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Antonio Gallardo" <agalla...@agssa.net>
Subject RE: disabling widgets
Date Wed, 25 Feb 2004 11:50:14 GMT
Reinhard Poetz dijo:
> Sorry, I don't like this client-side approach.
> We have to find something better because sometimes the 'presentation
> state' of a widget can depend on the 'application state'. Flowscript as
> controller should have access to both.

Hi Reinhard:

How manage a dynamic "show/hide a control" in a page without doing a
round-trip to the server?

Based on some observation while no-tech oriented users filled HTML forms.
It makes clear to me that they don't liked the round-trip to the server.
It was confusing to him! It is clear a non-conventional interface. Also it
waste time, no matter how fast the connection (including the server) are.
The observation was related to calculated widgets.

I think this is a similar case, because the show/hide control is just a
rendering page issue. Of course, you can add add additional parameters to
reflect the current "application state" and let the page have the right
behavior. If we suspect that it can be a security concerns, there is a
gold rule:

"Anything returned from the client must the checked again, when the
control return to the Flow (serversided)."

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.

P.S: I like this kind of discussion, because I will learn more! :-)