cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Alan <alan-coc...@engrm.com>
Subject Re: Jisp 3.0 moved to GPL licence
Date Sat, 21 Feb 2004 21:17:03 GMT
* Antonio Gallardo <agallardo@agssa.net> [2004-02-20 11:25]:
> Reinhard Poetz dijo:

> >> invalid link.
> >>
> >> It's back up now: http://www.coyotegulch.com/jisp/
> >> I never went there before it went down, but it now has a
> >> version 3.0.0. That version isn't under the old license
> >> anymore but GPLed (or commercial
> >> for 2500$).
> >> Old versions I can't find there..
> >>
> >> gunnar
> >>
> >> ps: sorry if you get this mail twice, steve. small mistake by me.
> >>
> >> --
> >> G. Brand - interface:projects GmbH
> >

> > As our store depends on Jisp - what does this mean for us? IMO we have
> > to look for a replacement. Any ideas/hints?
> AFAIK, we must move away from jisp. That was an ugly move! :-(
>
> Maybe this is a crazy idea but: Is posible to replace jisp with Apache
> Xindice? Mainly because I have concerns for another ugly move (as jisp
> did) if we choose a solution from a 3rd party again. If we use Apache
> Xindice I think this cannot happen again.

Can I suggest moving to Momento?

    I've been working on Momento solid since mid-November. I'll
    continue to move forward with it at a good clip, hopefully with
    help from the Apache community. It's where I'm at.

    I have developed Momento in the hopes that the Apache XML
    community take a shine to it. If so, I'd make sure to have an
    Apache compatable license, if not the Apache 2.0 license itself.

    As a reminder, Momento is an XML persistence engine.

    It is API agnostic. It currently supports XQuery 1.0 and XSLT
    2.0 (via Saxon) and XUpdate. It can support other APIs and query
    engines, no problem (SAX, Xalan, W3 DOM, and Jaxen have been
    explored).

    It is a transactional data store.  It provides ACID storage for
    XML (Atomic, Consitsant, Isolated, and Durable). It is designed
    to commit multipe updates an an atomic transaction and recover
    from hard shut downs to the last commited transaction.

    It is scaleable, since it supports multiple concurrent queries,
    and (with some educated decisions by the application designer)
    concurrent updates. It is a thread safe persistence engine.

    For the future, Momento will support indices, multi-process
    opreation, and access control lists.

    Again, this work is core to my career. I'm all over it. Cocoon
    is another focus. Technically, Momento and Cocoon are going to
    play nice. Legally too, just as long as I understand the issues.

    http://engrm.com/project/com.agtrz.momento/

    I am posting a zip distribution right now.

--
Alan / alan@engrm.com / http://engrm.com/
    aim/yim: alanengrm - icq: 228631855 - msn: alanengrm@hotmail.com