cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Larson <...@keow.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Woody scratchpad area
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2004 16:42:30 GMT
You know how we follow a model like:
  Start:   idea -> design -> implementation ->
  Repeat:  revise design -> revise implementation ->
  Finally: test/deploy/etc.

Right now we have limited points in time when we can
collaborate on implementation, specifically during the
"revise design" step.

I would like to be able to collaborate during the
"implementation" and "revise implementation" steps.
This would mean being permitted to commit partial
implementations that may not be internally consistent
yet or even compile successfully.  Think of it as taking
us one step closer to having an environment like
SubEthaEdit ( http://www.codingmonkeys.de/subethaedit/ )
for creating *source code* together.

The proposed Woody Scrachpad (or branch) could be a
test ground for this idea, as well as serving the
functions described earlier in this thread for the
development of experimental features.

WDYT?

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 09:55:56AM -0600, Hunsberger, Peter wrote:
> We don't use the Dev branch precisely because it is evolving; I don't
> expect it to be stable until a release is made.  It only makes sense to
> me to do things in the scratchpad if what you are going to be working on
> is going to cross release boundaries.  But perhaps that is what you had
> in mind?

Yes, the development of the experimental features is
likely to span across releases.  Class/new/union/struct
being developed and soon being converted to something
similar to what is described on the WoodyScratchpad
wiki page is already spanning releases, since we managed
to get 2.1.4 out the door.

--Tim Larson