cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Larson <...@keow.org>
Subject Re: Goal of the Cocoon TLP
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2004 14:16:27 GMT
On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 08:48:29AM -0500, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> On 5 Feb 2004, at 06:46, Geoff Howard wrote:
> >Would there be benefit to keeping it more general: "XML based
> >application and publishing framework and applications built on and in
> >support of that framework".
>
> As for the charter, I agree with Goeff here: we need to keep it general
> or we would need the board to change our charter every day.
>
> So, I would:
>
>  1) keep it language neutral: many people dislike java, but they can
> leave with it if th application is worth the effort (think lisp and
> emacs, for example)
>
>  2) keep it technology neutral (don't say XML/XSLT/SAX/DOM)
>
>  3) aim to identify the achitectural principles (modularity,
> composability, separation of concerns, feature reductionism)

If the board requires specific technology names, lets keep the
technology choices low-key.  We could talk about the architectural
principles and then just mention that this is "currently implemented
using" XYZ technologies.  This would let us be specific about the
technologies in use now, without creating a social contract to always
use this same list of technologies.

I hope the architectural principles are enough so this document
will not have to specifically mention Java, SAX, etc.  Like Stefano,
I think Cocoon's main purpose is to make it possible to follow good
design principles, such as SoC, modularity, etc., and pushing certain
technologies is merely a side effect of needing to have an actual
implementation of the framework.

--Tim Larson