cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: An idea - transformer logicsheets.
Date Sun, 01 Feb 2004 20:34:24 GMT

On 1 Feb 2004, at 14:13, Marcin Okraszewski wrote:

> Hi,
> As I wrote my post with subject "Which XSLT is used  for XSP
> logicsheets???" to the users group I got an idea about XSP
> transformation to Java.
>
> Why logicsheets are only XSLT ??? Why don't we use the concept of
> transformers from Cocoon? That would be very useful in some cases!!

This has been discussed a long time ago but it was concieved as
flexibility syndrome, therefore rejected.

With the introduction of the compiling classloader, we could even have
classes associated with cocoon:// URI and we wouldn't need the concept
of XSP anymore since it would all be transparent, even if you would
have to drive the XSP pipeline yourself and this would be painful for
some given the high number of transforming steps required to go thru
the logicsheet evaluation stages.

But we are moving away from dynamically generated java code because we
think this is an anti-pattern: appears very appealing at first, but
then it turns out to be a painful nightmare for debugging down the
road.

We are slowly deprecating server pages in favor of more MVC+ approaches
(that is: flows control + business objects + view templates)

In Cocoon 2.2, XSP will probably move to their own block and removed
from the core (this means they will still be supported, but not
considered core technology and not advocated as "the way").

I see no point in investing in making XSP even more complex than what
they already are.

--
Stefano.