cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <j.heini...@ewerk.com>
Subject Re: [Woody] observations, issues, questions, best practices
Date Mon, 19 Jan 2004 11:37:01 GMT
Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heinicke <at> gmx.de> writes:

> >> Sometimes it's soo simple. But could it be that it is a one-way ticket?
> >
> > nope works both ways for me, of course I write back to the same document
> > I read fromm
> >
> >> Saving the "document" back does not work, because document is null.
> >
> > howcome?
>
> Good question. I simply used the woody2.js and the loadDocument() and
> saveDocument() from binding.js. Hmm, I will look again.

I investigated the problem a bit more and my first observations were wrong. Not
the document is null, but it's value. I guess that's ok, as toString() probably
returns the text nodes. So it look like "[data: null]" when <data> is the
document element.

The real problem now is to save this thing back to file. If I pass the document
element only to saveDocument() I get an empty file. If I pass the root node (the
one above document element - how is it correctly called in DOM?) I get the file
as expected. But it seems not to be possible to get from document element to
root node. I tried ownerDocument() and get following exception:

"uncaught JavaScript exception: TypeError: [#document: null] is not a function."

This has nothing to do with the immediate steps of loading and saving the model
as also a document.getDocumentElement().ownerDocument() in loadDocument() (where
I expect document again) results in the exception above. How did you save the
document back, Marc? Or do you or anybody else know why ownerDocument() fails?

Joerg