cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Hartmann <andr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] Cleaning up our component library
Date Wed, 28 Jan 2004 09:55:52 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Le Mercredi, 28 jan 2004, à 02:40 Europe/Zurich, Joerg Heinicke a écrit :

[...]

>> ...I propose to deprecate those components in 2.1 and to remove them
>> in 2.2...
>

> In cases where this just needs sitemap changes, no problem. But if
> deprecation requires code changes to existing applications we might want
> to move in smaller steps.
>
> How about:
> a) components marked "deprecated" log a warning when used (or when used
> for the first time)

For the Lenya community it would be very helpful if the number
of options was reduced (and I think this is also true for others).
I'm not a "real" Cocoon committer, but very +1 for marking
outdated components as deprecated.

> b) maybe add an option to throw an exception when such components are
> used ("strict deprecation")

This sounds very useful. There are some non-IDE users in
our community who aren't that much aware of deprecation.
Could it be switched on/off globally?

-- Andreas