cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jorg Heymans ...@domek.be>
Subject Re: Accesibility with Cocoon 2
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2004 09:12:46 GMT
Using the windows description of accessibility : "Adjust your computer
settings for vision, hearing and mobility".

We can break this down

- vision : i can imagine an xsl that adjusts font sizes, font color,
table layout for relatively "clean" html. A quick search around revealed
(1), which deals with some of the issues involved and gives guidelines
on how to make "accessible" html. How to convert any html to accessible
html will be quite difficult, if you however are in control of the
layout you could already make the html more friendly to convert.

- hearing : there are a lot of free java libs available that do
text-to-speech. If the html is designed according to the rules in (1),
you could just walk the html layout and make the parts audible.
Internationalization even should not be the problem, pluggable language
libs are available as well.

Note to the list:
I feel a block design bubbling up here, i think it would be a good entry
point for me as I've never made a block. WDYT?

links
(1)http://www.humanfactors.com/downloads/default.asp
(2)http://tcts.fpms.ac.be/synthesis/mbrola/mbrola_entrypage.html
(3)google for "text to speech java"