cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <>
Subject Re: AW: AW: Cocoon 2.1.3 breakdown when load testing
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2004 22:09:12 GMT
Rottmann, Lars wrote:

>Hello again,
>my tests over the last night were partly successful. I managed to make a run
>of about 7000000 requests and the server was still alive this morning.

Wow, 7M requests overnight? Amazing!

>This showed to me that my guess was obviously right. The log messages I
>posted earlier raised the suspicion in me that maybe the StaticBucketMap
>used by the excalibur-component package isn't really threadsafe. So I
>patched the ExcaliburComponentManager and ExcaliburComponentSelector and
>replaced all references to it with a java.util.Hashtable. Okay, I know this
>is not the fastest solution, but it worked. The "ComponentLocator exception
>from parent CM during lookup" appeared no longer in the logs. So I fear I've
>found a serious bug there.

This afternoon, a colleague of mine did some profiling on one of our
apps and found what there's a constantly increasing number of
StaticBucketMap$Lock objects. Maybe this is related to what you describe
and we have a memory leak here. We'll investigate on this point also.

>The tests were only partly sucessful as I said because I noticed a
>considerable loss of performance over the time (over 75% in 14 hours). What
>I really wonder about is that the transaction rate per second dropped from
>one point the other from 170 to 60. At that time a file rotation of Cocoon's
>logs took place. The transaction rate did not recover again. I will test
>again this night without log rotation turned on to see if this has any
>impact on the overall performance.
>Does anyone of you know if the following log message from the
>cocoon-sitemap.log is of major importance? Might there be a link to the loss
>of performance I noticed, maybe because of a declining number of available
>pooled components?
>WARN    (2004-01-06) 17:19.49:453   [sitemap] (/vsky/index.preg)
>wap-4/ExcaliburComponentSelector: Attempted to release a org.apache.coc
>oon.components.pipeline.impl.CachingProcessingPipeline but its handler could
>not be located.

This message can occur when a component is released several times.

>I love posting the results of my performance tests and it's parameters once
>I know that everythings works fine and stable over the time.

Thanks! Considering the number of requests for your load tests, your
results will be definitely very intersting.

Orixo, the opensource XML business alliance  -

View raw message