cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject [cforms] Optionally required fields
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2004 16:58:26 GMT
Hi all,

I encountered a problem today: I have a form where a field is required
or not depending on the value of another field. I wanted to control this
using the validation (with a <wd:assert>) but couldn't as the validators
aren't called if the value is null.

To allow this, I wanted to propose that, when a field isn't explicitely
marked as required, validators be called even if the value is null.

But then comes another problem, since most validators expect a non-null
value and will break on NPE if no value is given.

So what about the following changes:
- when a field isn't marked as required, validators are called even if
the value is null,
- validators that need a value to do their job (e.g. regexp, range,
email, etc) will return "true" (valid) for a null value
- other validators (such as assert) will behave according to their
semantics with null values.

What do you think?