cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: [RT] The future of our lifecycle extensions in 2.2
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2004 12:50:13 GMT
Unico Hommes wrote:

> > The data, hold by the request data store is auto-released
> > when the request ends. For example, if your data object
> > implements dispose(), then this method is called.
> > Does this fit your needs?
> >

> OK, I think this covers my case. I'm going try it.

It's not implemented yet :) As soon as we have a decision to drop RLC,
I will implement it.

> > You can't rely on the fact that recycle() is always called on
> > your component.
> > The current implementations ECM and Fortress, don't do this
> > under heavy load.
> > The approach using the request data store is reliable.
>
> Woah, that is good to know. Is this considered a bug? I don't think I
> ever experienced a problem with this.

No, this is not considered a bug. Recycle is only called when the
instance is really recycled. Example: if you have a limited pool,
with let's say maximum 128 instances. If all this 128 instances are in use,
but another one is needed, a new is created but not added to the
pool. So when this component is released, recycle() is not called
as the component is not pooled. The instance is handled over to the GC.

Carsten