cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Jython and Continuations was: Re: Flow or actions?
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2004 17:47:30 GMT

On 15 Jan 2004, at 16:39, Brian McCallister wrote:

> =(
>
> The biggest problem I have selling coworkers on Flow is the
> JavaScript. Too many bad associations from scripting in browsers
> (despite the fact that the more I play with JS the nicer the language
> gets) for most people, I think.

Been there, done that.

Javascript has nothing to do with DHTML problems: it was (and still is)
lack of a standard object model and event mechanism (even if things are
much better nowadays).

Javascript is just a language, syntax plus some basic semantics, it's
not a platform.

The way I sell it is that cocoon has two higher level programming
languages (sitemap and flowscript) gluing components written in a high
level programming language (java). Sitemap uses the xml syntax,
flowscript uses the javascript syntax... because the first leverages
the HTML-injected angled brakets mindset, but without SGML problems,
the second uses the java-injected curly braces mindset, but without the
java overhead of strong typing, compilation-induced slow try/fail
cycles.

With blocks and a compiling classloader, we'll reach nirvana of web RAD
but without compromising architectural elegance and SoC.

But it could be much worse: flowscript used to use the scheme syntax ;-)

--
Stefano.