cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From H.vanderLin...@MI.unimaas.nl
Subject RE: Flow or actions?
Date Wed, 14 Jan 2004 08:39:14 GMT
Although most of the arguments are clear, they also raise more questions :-)

> I don't know if I get all arguments but at least some:
> 1. Both actions and flow scripts were designed for the
> controller part.
> 2. Actions were often misused, so a new concept was searched for.

Could you give an example of this "misuse"?

> 3. Interpreting (flow script) vs. compiling (actions).
> 4. Procedural style of the flow scripts is nearer to flow control.
> 5. Support of continuations with flow scripts.

>From a newbie point of view: the idea behind it is fairly easy to grasp, but
when trying to figure out why it doesn't work as expected (e.g. with Woody
forms) it is very incomprehensible. But maybe that is related to 6.

> 6. Less delivered code for flow scripts while there are many actions
> available.
> 7. Better separating of concerns for flow scripts.
> 8. Therefore less sitemap readibility (the sitemap flow is not that
> obvious, because parts of the logic is in the flow script).

Thanks for the explanation. Can you, or anyone else, give ideas as to when
to use actions and when to use flow? I don't have the feeling that they are
interchangeable. On the other hand I feel that using both actions and flow
in a single webapp will add to the complexity.

Bye, Helma