cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] add DTDs to Apache website
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2004 17:39:26 GMT

On 15 Jan 2004, at 16:15, Juan Jose Pablos wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> <htaccess stuf/>
>
>> Stefano, who has been waiting for some 18 months for somebody else to
>>  come up with the idea of having forrest pregenerating the .htaccess
>> file to do some sort of poor-man multichannel or content negotiation,
>>  but has lost hope so it's time to inject notion in the system.
>
> Stefano, who forgot to add that request on Jira, bugzilla or something
> similar, because he realized that people is not able to read his mind
> :-)

nono, you guys don't get it: it was a social experiment about cross
pollination between the java/xml world and the httpd world.

Forrest, by generating static stuff, is the closest thing to the
original HTTPd mindset. All the "fancy dynamic stuff" didn't catch up
over httpd, it was simply too painful to write a web application in C
and there are so many modules that can be useful all over the place.

The rest was modules that glued other languages, but moved away large
chunks of the community. So much so that nowadays, very few web-app
power users are also httpd power users, because they isolate
themselves.

Since forrest is now slowly taking over all apache.org web sites, this
exposes this project to all sort of different mindsets, I wanted to see
how long it would take for stronger httpd interaction to surface, but
it didn't happen.

It's not criticism to the forrest community, not at all. I would say
it's criticism for those coming from a non-java/non-xml world: they
failed to provide the input that might have shaped the project in such
a way that would have pleased them more.

Anyway, since David was ready to propose a massive URL change for DTDs
I had to say something and the .htaccess magic is the way I would solve
many forrest issues that are now solved with hacky client-side
javascript.

but, at the very end, I don't really care since i think that static
pregeneration of web sites will (very slowly but constantly) die out:
all web content will need some form of dynamism.

But you need a bridge over this huge and nasty river.

And this is what forrest is all about in my mind.

--
Stefano.