cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject New Job
Date Tue, 20 Jan 2004 10:57:11 GMT

On 19 Jan 2004, at 21:33, Joerg Heinicke wrote:

> PS: It's Monday and we still don't know what's up!

It seems that Joerg is not a reader of my blog
(http://www.betaversion.org/~stefano/linotype/), and since many others
might not be, here it is: the big announcement is that I have a new
job.

I'm joining the MIT Libraries faculty for a two years research position
working full time on the SIMILE project (http://web.mit.edu/simile/)
which goal is to show that  semantic web technology works (or doesn't!)
in the real of metadata interoperability, with a focus on digital
libraries.

My team is also the team responsible for the DSpace federation
(http://www.dspace.org) a content repository for digital libraries with
strong aim at long-term digital preservation.

I will join another cocooner, Mark Butler, author and maintainer of the
DELI block, who is already part of the SIMILE team working for HP Labs
in Bristol.

The architectural overlap between SIMILE and Cocoon is almost none, but
SIMILE will be a testbed for the RDF/RDFS/OWL stack of recomendations
which are virtually ignored in the mainstream XML world where Cocoon
lives. So I will act as cross-pollinator.

My long term plan is to use some of SIMILE technology for Doco. I will
also work with the DSpace team to design their 2.0 version and you can
count in DSpace and Cocoon getting closer together (something that the
dspace user community has been wanting for a while but the DSpace team
didn't have a cocoon expert)

My involvement in cocoon and the other ASF projects is not going to
change much... I might also have time to help more 'hands-on' with the
creation of the block infrastructure.

I don't know if SIMILE will be successful or not (the entire team is
very critic on RDF and friends), but I chose to accept the job because
I needed new challenges and this fits perfectly with my technological
curiosity about massive scale information publishing, authoring,
accessing, searching and preserving.

So, I will have two digital identities, my @apache.org one that I'll
keep using while participating in ASF-related activities and when
wearing my apache hat (for example, in JSRs participation) and my
@mit.edu one that I'll be using when wearing my MIT hat.

I'm moving to boston on Saturday and I'll probably start my job on
monday next week.

Ciao!

--
Stefano.