cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] The future of our lifecycle extensions in 2.2
Date Sat, 10 Jan 2004 22:21:52 GMT

On 8 Jan 2004, at 15:59, Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
>> Just a point of further clarification with Fortress:
>>
>> The Fortress pool will continue to grow under heavy load, as there is
>> no
>> true maximum.  During periods of light load, the pool is then purged
>> more reasonable levels.  There is a process that runs periodically to
>> detect these things.  When the pool size is below a certain threshold
>> (i.e.
>> under such heavy load that there are no more instances available) the
>> background process will create more instances.  The pool will still
>> create
>> what it needs on demand--but this background process will create more
>> than
>> one instance at a time.  When the pool size grows beyond that
>> threshold
>> (i.e. the load is down and all the instances are being returned), the
>> background process will start disposing of the excess.
>

> Cool behaviour. This will certainly make it a strong performance gain,
> and removes the most difficult part of Cocoon's performance
> optimization which is sizing pools.

I *hate* sized pools.

Ah, Berin, what strategy algorithm are you guys using for size
management?

When writing the thread pool for jserv (god, 6 years ago), I had the
feeling that the optimal size of the pool was when the average size
equaled its standard deviation but never came to prove it
statistically... is the pool strategy pluggable in fortress?

--
Stefano.