cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Mail thread headers (was Re: source resolving in 2.2)
Date Fri, 30 Jan 2004 18:11:52 GMT
Geoff Howard wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> Geoff Howard wrote:

>> <snip/>

>>> Yes, but I was very interested to hear they may have this solved in
>>> Thunderbird.  I recently happened to look into what headers were
>>> being sent by mozilla and outlook and did think it looked like
>>> something a reader could solve...
>>

>> Actually, Unico is not the only one. What I've found is that Mozilla
>> uses the In-Reply-To header whereas Outlook (at least some version)
>> uses "Thread-Topic" and "Thread-Index".
>>
>> Outlook's headers seem strange to me, as I don't know how a mailer
>> can rebuild a thread tree with just an indentifier for the thread,
>> but no information about the posts relationships.
>

> Ah, yes - that was it.  And I remember now it wasn't clear whether
> they gave enough info to reconstruct the tree, or just associate
> messages together in a common conversation topic.  I use the
> conversation topic view in outlook at work, and it's not a tree - just
> a flat topic view. May not be possible after all.  My mozilla keeps
> outlook posts in the same thread, but under the root post, not the
> actual message replied to.  Maybe Thunderbird and Mozilla are the same
> after all?

Well, I guess some Micro$oft marketing guy decided once that tree view
were too much complicated for average users and invented this
"conversation view" where all messages in a thread are sorted

And even worse: "In-Reply-To" is specified in RFC 2822 [1] as a header a
mailer /should/ send (see ยง3.6.4). Sure, it's not written /must/ send,
but we can expect from a full-featured mailer to properly implement
these optional features, and not inventing its own.

And that f**cking M$ doesn't even use the "X-" prefix for its
non-standard headers. I also found a page [2] listing all other "fancy"
M$-specific fields.

[1] http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2822.html
[2] http://info.ccone.at/INFO/Mail-Archives/procmail/Jul-2002/msg00286.html

Sylvain