cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Geoff Howard <coc...@leverageweb.com>
Subject Re: Mail thread headers (was Re: source resolving in 2.2)
Date Fri, 30 Jan 2004 17:54:59 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Geoff Howard wrote:
>
>> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>>
>>> Unico Hommes wrote:
>>
> <snip/>

>>> Read carefully: "...which breaks thread views in _Mozilla_..." ;-)
>>>
>>> Are other people experiencing this also?
>>
>> Yes, but I was very interested to hear they may have this solved in
>> Thunderbird.  I recently happened to look into what headers were being
>> sent by mozilla and outlook and did think it looked like something a
>> reader could solve...
>
> Actually, Unico is not the only one. What I've found is that Mozilla
> uses the In-Reply-To header whereas Outlook (at least some version) uses
> "Thread-Topic" and "Thread-Index".
>
> Outlook's headers seem strange to me, as I don't know how a mailer can
> rebuild a thread tree with just an indentifier for the thread, but no
> information about the posts relationships.

Ah, yes - that was it.  And I remember now it wasn't clear whether they
gave enough info to reconstruct the tree, or just associate messages
together in a common conversation topic.  I use the conversation topic
view in outlook at work, and it's not a tree - just a flat topic view.
May not be possible after all.  My mozilla keeps outlook posts in the
same thread, but under the root post, not the actual message replied to.
  Maybe Thunderbird and Mozilla are the same after all?

Geoff