cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: source resolving in 2.2
Date Fri, 30 Jan 2004 16:43:04 GMT
Unico Hommes wrote:

>I'd already replied to Sylvain's mail yesterday but it never seems to
>have shown up :-/
>
>Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>

>>>Do you mean the Processor is made available into the Avalon Context object in
order for processing nodes to access it? A side effect is that it also makes it accessible
to all components defined in the sitemap, and this is IMO *highly undesirable* as it potentially
opens the door to weird abuses.

>>Yes, that's true as well - sigh. I thought this context is only available to tree
processor components, but it seems that you're right and this context is passed down to all
components.

>The same goes for the ServiceManager. It currently exposes all components within a sitemap
container, which means sitemap components can potentially access ProcessNodes. We will need
some kind of insulation between the nodes and the components. If we do it so they run inside
separate containers the Context issue will go away too.

Yep. I was thinking to something along these lines: a container for
sitemap components (the ones of <map:components>) and a child of that
container for sitemap statements.

This may have several benefits:
- avoids cluttering the container for runtime components with "dormant
components", i.e. components representing processing nodes will only be
created once and never again.
- can therefore allow using a more lightweight container for processing
nodes.

>>Is there any good way to pass down information to the
>>different tree nodes during processing time?
>>

>Alternatively, since running two different containers may be more
>expensive -and not absolutely neccesary because ServiceManager isolation
>can be achieved within the same container - we could define a lifecycle
>extension for ProcessingNodes in order to pass in static settings.

I'm a total Fortress newbie and don't know about these features. Time
for me to learn, I think...

Sylvain