cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: [ANN] Module Source and XModule Source
Date Tue, 27 Jan 2004 14:50:38 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:

> Upayavira wrote:
>
>> Leszek Gawron wrote:
>>
>>> The whole module idea is really great but (please correct me if I'm
>>> wrong):

>>> The o.a.c.components.modules.input.RequestModule provides this:
>>>
>>> return ObjectModelHelper.getRequest(objectModel);
>>>
>>> getRequest returns o.a.c.environment.Request which is an interface
>>> that is not
>>> bound to http. You cannot reach the request's body from here.
>>
>> You would appear to be right.
>

> See my answer to Leszek. I must say that I find it a little bit
> amusing that you read the source code instead of trusting what I
> claimed in the anouncement and trying the implementation ;) I guess it
> is a behaviour that you develop when you have lived at the "bleading
> edge" for a long time, I most of the time do the same myself.

You mean source code doesn't contain the truth??? I guess I just assumed
that this must be one thing you overlooked in your otherwise good
work!!! Obviously I was wrong. I am happy to stand corrected :-)

>> My answer is "lets add getInputStream to o.a.c.environment.request".
>> After all, you've got stuff about cookies, sessions, hosts, etc, etc,
>> which, whilst there's a level of abstraction there, it is still
>> pretty HTTP focussed (which is fine). Adding this (and probably other
>> similar ones) would help us in the direction of HTTP protocol
>> independence. For example, the CLI doesn't work when some blocks are
>> compiled in, because of their explicit HTTP references. If we
>> redirected these via the Request interface, other environments could
>> handle them as they wish, and we'd have greater environmental
>> abstraction, which is a good thing.
>
> I completely agree with that getInputStream should be added to the
> request interface. I gave some arguments for doing it in
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=104213670731308&w=2,
> there where also a discussion in

Interesting. I was way too green back then to undestand this stuff.
Seems like Vadim would need convincing before we could add it. Once
we've got an approach that does take other environments into account, we
can start up a vote.

>> Oh, and the above module:request:inputStream would work too!
>
> It allready does, or a least did some weeks ago ;)

Okay, I believe you now!

Regards, Upayavira