cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: Cocoon + "private" project + CVS use, best practice?
Date Tue, 27 Jan 2004 14:33:32 GMT
Geoff Howard wrote:

> H.vanderLinden@MI.unimaas.nl wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to know how others have setup their systems to use
>> Cocoon from
>> the CVS and backup their own project into another CVS.
>> Currently I update a local CVS repository from the Cocoon CVS, build it,
>> copy all new files/jars etc. to another tree where I build my own
>> project.
>> I have a feeling this could be much more efficient.
>

> Another option would be to skip the copy step, keep your application
> in its separate tree, and use the xpatch task in cocoon's build to
> perform the necessary customizations (changes to cocoon.xconf,
> web.xml, root sitemap, etc.).  The root sitemap should be able to
> mount a sub-sitemap outside of the context root.  You can even keep
> your xpatch files in your dev tree - the directory used is
> configurable via ant parameter. Your built app would then be in
> Cocoon's cvs tree unless you change Cocoon's target config to your own
> dev tree.  The downside is that you cannot store the version of Cocoon
> you are built on in your cvs tree.  I would highly reccomend keeping
> the cvs update timestamp stored somewhere in your cvs so you can roll
> back to a last known working version if something should break.

Further to this, what I've done on a project is add a target to my
projects Ant script to copy patch files from my directory tree into
Cocoon's. It even then runs Cocoon's build script itself. So, you type
ant build-webapp, it untars the Cocoon archive, copies across all of the
customising libs and patch files, and local.blocks/build.properties,
calls Cocoon's build process, and then copies the built webapp into its
final resting place. That way, to deploy the app onto another machine,
or to upgrade the Cocoon webapp is as simple as 'ant build-webapp', even
if the Cocoon needs lots of customisation. Works a treat.

Regards, Upayavira