cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: [ANN] Module Source and XModule Source
Date Tue, 27 Jan 2004 13:11:27 GMT
Upayavira wrote:

> Leszek Gawron wrote:
>
>> The whole module idea is really great but (please correct me if I'm
>> wrong):
>>
>>>   <map:generate type="file" src="module:request:inputStream"/>
>>>
>> The o.a.c.components.modules.input.RequestModule provides this:
>>
>> return ObjectModelHelper.getRequest(objectModel);
>>
>> getRequest returns o.a.c.environment.Request which is an interface
>> that is not
>> bound to http. You cannot reach the request's body from here.
>>
> You would appear to be right.

See my answer to Leszek. I must say that I find it a little bit amusing
that you read the source code instead of trusting what I claimed in the
anouncement and trying the implementation ;) I guess it is a behaviour
that you develop when you have lived at the "bleading edge" for a long
time, I most of the time do the same myself.

> My answer is "lets add getInputStream to o.a.c.environment.request".
> After all, you've got stuff about cookies, sessions, hosts, etc, etc,
> which, whilst there's a level of abstraction there, it is still pretty
> HTTP focussed (which is fine). Adding this (and probably other similar
> ones) would help us in the direction of HTTP protocol independence. For
> example, the CLI doesn't work when some blocks are compiled in, because
> of their explicit HTTP references. If we redirected these via the
> Request interface, other environments could handle them as they wish,
> and we'd have greater environmental abstraction, which is a good thing.

I completely agree with that getInputStream should be added to the
request interface. I gave some arguments for doing it in
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=104213670731308&w=2,
there where also a discussion in

> Oh, and the above module:request:inputStream would work too!
It allready does, or a least did some weeks ago ;)

/Daniel