cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Geoff Howard <coc...@leverageweb.com>
Subject Re: Cocoon + "private" project + CVS use, best practice?
Date Tue, 27 Jan 2004 13:08:08 GMT
H.vanderLinden@MI.unimaas.nl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to know how others have setup their systems to use Cocoon from
> the CVS and backup their own project into another CVS.
> Currently I update a local CVS repository from the Cocoon CVS, build it,
> copy all new files/jars etc. to another tree where I build my own project.
> I have a feeling this could be much more efficient.

Another option would be to skip the copy step, keep your application in
its separate tree, and use the xpatch task in cocoon's build to perform
the necessary customizations (changes to cocoon.xconf, web.xml, root
sitemap, etc.).  The root sitemap should be able to mount a sub-sitemap
outside of the context root.  You can even keep your xpatch files in
your dev tree - the directory used is configurable via ant parameter.
Your built app would then be in Cocoon's cvs tree unless you change
Cocoon's target config to your own dev tree.  The downside is that you
cannot store the version of Cocoon you are built on in your cvs tree.  I
would highly reccomend keeping the cvs update timestamp stored somewhere
in your cvs so you can roll back to a last known working version if
something should break.

Personally, I most often use the method you described and only update
the cocoon instance there when I need to.  But if I were relying on
features in active development, I'd go with the one I described or
something like it.

BTW, I assume you've read the several reccomendations about this on the
wiki?

Geoff