cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Geoff Howard <coc...@leverageweb.com>
Subject Re: [OT] Mail & Web forums
Date Fri, 16 Jan 2004 20:03:34 GMT
Ryan Hoegg wrote:
> I just spent considerable time hunting for a good open source forum.
> The only viable java option I found was jGossip, but its immature, built
> on struts, and used hardcoded JDBC in its DAOs.  I think it could be
> ported to OJB or hibernate, but phpBB was way more mature and I needed
> one soon.  So, I installed phpBB.
>
> That said, a forum / mailing list combination would be great!  If you
> decide to go forward with one, I'd love to help out.  Might make a nice
> demonstration of Cocoon Forms and flowscript.
>
> --
> Ryan Hoegg
> ISIS Networks
> http://www.isisnetworks.net
>
> Upayavira wrote:
>
>> [Off topic alert - this is completely off topic, but I'm stuck for
>> anywhere else to look - please excuse me!]
>>
>> I'm looking for a system (preferably open source) that I can install
>> on my own server, that'll allow me to set up a combined mailing
>> list/web based forum, (much as we have now with ezmlm and gmane),
>> i.e.messages can be sent by email or on a web page, messages can be
>> received by email or viewed, threaded, on a web page. I can't use
>> Gmane as these lists will be private.
>>
>> Anyone able to give me pointers (replies off list are fine)? I've been
>> looking for months and not found anything.

Upayavira,

Since I know (don't I?) that you do some work with non-profits, you may
have free use of jive, though the pricing page says non-commercial
"discount" I thought it used to be free for that use:
http://www.jivesoftware.com/products/pricing.jsp.  Not open source but
it's always looked good to me.  The forums at Sun use it.

I would love to see a unified open source
list/browsable-archive/newsgroup application in java too!  When James
list support gets up to speed I was thinking of having another crack at
one.  (And ask Vadim what I want to do with it if I can find an open
source full-text indexer with support for vector searches!).

Geoff