cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Collen <colle...@umn.edu>
Subject Re: Woody and WAI
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2004 22:15:47 GMT
Jeremy Quinn wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am in the process of getting some Woody forms approved as WAI
> compliant.
>
>     http://www.w3.org/WAI/
>
> While WAI may not be everybody's cup of tea ..... in certain sectors
> it is a common requirement .... and it is certainly not a bad selling
> point.
>

> There are three issues which come up regularly with basic Woody forms:
>
> 1) Provide an explicit label for each form control. (Level 2)
> 2) Include default, place-holding characters in edit boxes and text
> areas. (Level 3)
> 3) Provide a summary for tables. (Level 3)

<snip>

> Issue (2), placeholder text, is slightly more complicated. I think we
> would have to introduce the concept of a default value to Woody's
> field markup, with the *option* to automatically invalidate fields
> which had their default values in.

This would be nice, I know there's a lot of work left to go on the
client-side aspect of Woody/CForms.

As far as setting default values in a form, you can do something like
this in your flow:

bean = new Packages.foo.myBean();
bean.setBlah("default value");
form.load(bean);
form.showForm("whatever");

It would be nice to be able to set a default value for a field however.

> Furthermore, I suspect it would be best if such fields had JavaScript
> like the following in them, when they have been populated with a
> default value that is not allowed by the validation:
>
> <input name="sample-field"
>     value="default value"
>     onfocus="if (this.value == 'default value') this.value = '';"
>     onblur="if (this.value == '') this.value = 'default value';"
>     etc.
> />
>
> Issue (3) making sure tables have summaries is easy:

> Several widgets in Woody make Tables, I propose that their 'hint'
> could be used as the summary.

+1 for the hint going into the table summary.

Tony