cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <>
Subject Re: JSP engine
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2004 21:33:51 GMT
Just a few comments ...

On 15.01.2004 16:26, Unico Hommes wrote:

> While trying to use Cocoon as a front end to Slide WebdavServlet I ran
> into a problem with JSPEngine interface. The problem I am having is that
> while Slide sets the response headers such as status code and
> content-type the JSPEngine cannot forward these to the Cocoon
> environment.
> This is because the JSPEngine's interface takes the HttpServletResponse
> and HttpServletRequest objects instead of the Cocoon environment ones.
> If I change the JSPEngine interface so that it takes the object model
> instead I can solve this problem. From a public/private interface point
> of view, I can just make this change without having to go through a
> deprecation cycle right? I mean, JSPEngine interface is a private
> interface.

The JSP stuff is highly buggy or at least limited usable. I also could
imagine that it is not very often used. The only questions on the
mailing lists came from so called newbies which try this feature and I
guess they often withdraw from it. So I'm +1 for every change that
stabilizes the JSP stuff and makes it more usable. Any possible
backwards incompatibility I would accept in this case.

> BTW, the name 'JSPEngine' seems to be slightly off. All implementations
> actually allow you to run a generic Servlet instead of just JSPs.

We already have a ServletGenerator (it's abstract). What about making
both such generic that we can remove one?

> Also,
> the generator is called JspGenerator (note 'sp' in lower case) but the
> reader is called JSPReader. Should we rename one of these?

I often came across this naming issue and would change it too
(everything to uppercase).

View raw message