cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Portier <...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Flow or actions?
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2004 12:41:09 GMT

Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> Marc Portier wrote:
>

>> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

>>> What would be the difference between selector you proposed and
>>> ScriptAction with Javascript which we already have?
>>

>> good question, I've never used it though...
>> so I don't know, the important questions would be
>> - does it have access to the FOM?
>

> - does it make sense to add FOM to the ScriptAction? :-)

It would of have surprised me indeed :-)

>> - does it support the equivalent to <map:call continue="">
>

> - are you planning to allow continuations in FlowSelector? :-)

Not as I remember the discussion, no...

 From the top of my head the main idea was to not have the calls to
publishing pipelines hidden in the flowScripts, but rather letting the
flowScripts return some 'state' that could include the continution-point

based on that returned state the flow-selector would then be visibly in
the sitemap be doing the selction of the pipeline

a better name would probably be the FlowScriptResultSelector :-)

the main drive was to decouple the flowscipt-functions from the sitemap
that calls them: if they would return some code upon which to select the
coupling would be less tight and reuse higher...

making sense? other interpretations of the discussion?

-marc=

> Either way, it seems like suggested addition of FlowSelector will
> overshadow ScriptAction, but will not completely replace it because
> ScriptAction supports more than just Javascript (and works through BSF),
> which partly is more of an academic difference (does anybody really uses
> other scripting languages beside Javascript?) Also, addition of
> FlowSelector will pave a way to:
>
>  * FlowMatcher
>  * FlowAction
>  * FlowGenerator (replacement for ScriptGenerator)
>
> And IIRC suggestion of adding action behavior to flow was critisized
> (vote thread [1], don't remember discussion thread)

I agree here...