cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>
Subject Re: Flow or actions?
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2004 11:50:40 GMT
Marc Portier wrote:

> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>
>> Joerg Heinicke wrote:
>>
>>> BTW, what about my suggested FlowScriptSelector?
>>> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=106864448500002&r=1&w=2
>>

>> What would be the difference between selector you proposed and
>> ScriptAction with Javascript which we already have?
>

> good question, I've never used it though...
> so I don't know, the important questions would be
> - does it have access to the FOM?

- does it make sense to add FOM to the ScriptAction? :-)

> - does it support the equivalent to <map:call continue="">

- are you planning to allow continuations in FlowSelector? :-)

Either way, it seems like suggested addition of FlowSelector will
overshadow ScriptAction, but will not completely replace it because
ScriptAction supports more than just Javascript (and works through BSF),
which partly is more of an academic difference (does anybody really uses
other scripting languages beside Javascript?) Also, addition of
FlowSelector will pave a way to:

  * FlowMatcher
  * FlowAction
  * FlowGenerator (replacement for ScriptGenerator)

And IIRC suggestion of adding action behavior to flow was critisized
(vote thread [1], don't remember discussion thread)

Vadim