cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: [Proposal] add DTDs to Apache website
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2004 11:41:31 GMT
On 15.01.2004 05:05, David Crossley wrote:

>>>9) We will never know if the Catalog Entity Resolver gets
>>>broken after an upgrade. Forrest will still work but will
>>>be slower, doing downloads of the DTD and supporting files
>>>on each document parse. We can probably add a test document
>>>in the "forrest seed site" to detect failure.
>>
>>A really bad argument against the proposal :) Of course a real test is
>>the way to go here.
>

> I gather that you mean a "good argument". That is why i listed that
> issue. It would be a bad thing if Forrest/Cocoon silently started
> doing network retrievals like the current Xerces-2.6 web.xml issue.

No, I meant "bad argument". Having the whole application as test case is
  "nicht im Sinne des Erfinders" - or in English: The application itself
should just not serve as a test case.

> Forrest does now have a "build test" target which tries to build the
> "forrest seed site". Are you suggesting that we would be better to
> re-instate the JUnit tests that Cocoon used to have? I am no expert,
> but i think that we need the test to actually be a part of the
> Forrest machinery so that when users create a new "project" then
> they get the test happening too.

I imagined no special type of a test, only "there should be a test". I
don't know how you can control whether Xerces retrieves the DTDs from
network or not.

Joerg