cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: [Proposal] add DTDs to Apache website
Date Wed, 14 Jan 2004 18:39:12 GMT
I'm not CCing Forrest as I'm not subscribed there and they don't
moderate my mails through.

On 14.01.2004 05:53, David Crossley wrote:

> 3) The Forrest website is built using the "stable" version of
> Forrest (currently v0.5.1). So how will DTDs from the current
> CVS (v0.6-dev) get into the website CVS [3]? Manual copy? See 4).
>
> 4) If some committer changes the DTDs in CVS then they will be
> out-of-sync. Will committers remember to do the manual copy? See 3).

I don't see this problem. On the one hand there are the older files like
document 0.10 or 0.11 that won't be touched, on the other hand 0.12 (or
is it already old too?) which is developed at the moment. You can't make
incompatible changes for one version, otherwise you will break possibly
thousands of documents out there. So only extensions are possible. In
conclusion: the update cycle must not be once per minute, but maybe once
per day or only week. Now what about having a cron job running on the
website server that checks out recent DTD versions? Forcing manual work
that's critical and without much effort automatically doable sounds not
that good.

> 9) We will never know if the Catalog Entity Resolver gets
> broken after an upgrade. Forrest will still work but will
> be slower, doing downloads of the DTD and supporting files
> on each document parse. We can probably add a test document
> in the "forrest seed site" to detect failure.

A really bad argument against the proposal :) Of course a real test is
the way to go here.

Joerg