cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Flow or actions?
Date Wed, 14 Jan 2004 01:26:07 GMT
On 13.01.2004 22:01, Rolf Kulemann wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 21:46, H.vanderLinden@MI.unimaas.nl wrote:
>
>>Hi,

>>way to go", but on the other hand, there are also actions. I have an idea
>>how they work, but I cannot figure out whether I should use only flow or
>>only actions or a mix of both.
>>Can someone explain when to use the one and when to use the other? Or are
>>you planning on replacing actions with flow?
>

> Good question. I have the same problem (I'm quite new to cocoon).
> Another question is, which one - flow or action - is better to debug?
> AFAIK people like flow, because you do not need to recompile (anything)
> when updating flow script.

I don't know if I get all arguments but at least some:
1. Both actions and flow scripts were designed for the controller part.
2. Actions were often misused, so a new concept was searched for.
3. Interpreting (flow script) vs. compiling (actions).
4. Procedural style of the flow scripts is nearer to flow control.
5. Support of continuations with flow scripts.
6. Less delivered code for flow scripts while there are many actions
available.
7. Better separating of concerns for flow scripts.
8. Therefore less sitemap readibility (the sitemap flow is not that
obvious, because parts of the logic is in the flow script).

Joerg