cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephan Coboos <cromo...@gmx.net>
Subject [Suggestion] Making components easier to distribute
Date Tue, 06 Jan 2004 10:53:10 GMT
Hello,

I like the concept of own avalon components in cocoon very very well. So
I only work with flowscripts and avalon components but very seldom with
actions or xsp. I think, the concept flowscript + avalon component is
the future way to integrate logic into a cocoon app. But in my opnion
there are a bunsh of disadvantages creating avalon-components in cocoon:

1.) Why it is necessary to extract the cocoon.roles from the cocoon.jar
to register the components? For me at the first time I had done this, it
has looked like a change on the whole cocoon archticture and not a
simple integration of a logic component. I think its not clear why do
so. It looks like this is not the suggested way to intregate business
logic. But it is, isn't it?

My suggestion:  The cocoon.roles should be situated in the classes
folder, not in the cocoon.jar or better in  WEB-INF beside the
cocoon.xconf aso.

2.)  Its very hard to create independent components for customers. What
I mean is: Using a component in flowscript is relativley simple (the
customer is able to use this;-) but creating a component can be very
hard and complex. So it's possible that a new market place grows up in
which avalon-components for cocoon will be created and distributed
(Mailer-Component, DB-Component, aso.). But moving a component from one
cocoon-app to another cocoon-app can be very hard, too (4 steps and more
for moving are to much). So it should not be necessary to register all
roles in the same roles.cocoon and configure it in the same
cocoon.xconf. In my opinion the best way would be to distribute a new
component as jar which has its on "cocoon.roles" and "cocoon.xconf" in
it. Cocoon should "mount" these config files at startup. The
disatvantage of this order is, that the "real" config files are
separated from the one in the components jar. But cocoon should look at
startup into the real cocoon.roles and cocoon.xconf. Is the role already
registered and configured there, this configurations will be used.
Otherwise the configurations from the jar will be used.

What do you think about these suggestions?

Regards
Stephan