cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Leszek Gawron <o...@wlkp.org>
Subject Re: Flow or actions?
Date Wed, 14 Jan 2004 11:39:09 GMT
Just some my comments:

On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 02:26:07AM +0100, Joerg Heinicke wrote:
> 1. Both actions and flow scripts were designed for the controller part.
Actions can be also used for business logic.

> 2. Actions were often misused, so a new concept was searched for.
> 3. Interpreting (flow script) vs. compiling (actions).
It is easier to develop with flow as you have to restart the container each
time you change your actions code.

There is a compromise: use XSP actions.

> 4. Procedural style of the flow scripts is nearer to flow control.
> 5. Support of continuations with flow scripts.

> 6. Less delivered code for flow scripts while there are many actions
> available.
Not really as it is not elegant to include buisness logic in flowscript. One
should write appropriate classes. They should be avalon components as in new
FOM you cannot issue actions from flow (I think this would be very nice if SoC
was maintained)

> 7. Better separating of concerns for flow scripts.
> 8. Therefore less sitemap readibility (the sitemap flow is not that
> obvious, because parts of the logic is in the flow script).
For me sitemap is much MORE readable. A sitemap is not a good place for coding
a complicated app. If you use flow sitemap just contains view rendering
definitions and the control is in one place - the flow.

	ouzo
--
            __
        \_\\  //_/       ouzo@wlkp.org           _\\()//_