Joerg,
The test_xsp.java file which gets generated as a result of XSP transformation does not have the characters which I would like to see on my page..It only has code to create the elements in my xsp without the text() content...Does that mean something is stripping it off during the XSLT transformation(xsp.xsl??) or during during parsing???
I will try putting log transformer as you suggested...fingers crossed!!

Amaresh.