cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Paranoic block] turning on and off
Date Sun, 21 Dec 2003 19:25:13 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Geoff Howard wrote:
>
>> Sylvain Wallez wrote:

>>> Turning on/off doesn't mean anything in the case of the paranoid
>>> block, as it doesn't contain any configuration file. It's just a jar
>>> that you can decide to use or not just by changing the servlet class
>>> name in web.xml.
>>>
>>> I extracted it as a block just because it's totally independent of
>>> other Cocoon sources and I needed to use it in other environments.
>>

>> Is there a reason you didn't want to do a config change in the block
>> by using a paranoid.xweb that changes the servlet config?
>

> Good point. IMO, ParanoidCocoonServlet is a helper feature that will
> be activated or not depending on the deployement environment (i.e. if
> there are conflicting jars), but not depending on what feature the
> application needs, like is the case for other blocks.
>
> This means that the regular CocoonServlet should be the default in
> web.xml but that paranoid.jar should also be present in WEB-INF/lib so
> that it can be activated whenever needed. Note that it was exactly the
> case before its "blockification".

After more thinking, I came to the following:
- add paranoid in blocks.properties
- add a .xweb file that will add the relevant *comments* in web.xml
indicating how to activate the ParanoidCocoonServlet, but leave the
regular CocoonServlet.

This way, people can completely remove it if they want, and if they keep
it (the default), it is not activated.

> WDYT?

(again)

Sylvain