cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [cforms] add getDefinition to Widget interface?
Date Wed, 17 Dec 2003 12:02:44 GMT
Bruno Dumon wrote:

> [...]
where widgets are defined, so it can be reported in exceptions.
>>I added code to the widget definitions and builders to get and store this information
from the DOM.  The question is whether this info should be retrieved from the definition directly
with:
>>  // This would require adding a getDefinition() method to the
>>  // Widget interface and thereby exposing the definition.
>>  somewidget.getDefinition().getLocation()
>>or indirectly from the widget
>>  // Definition shielded by widgets' getLocation() method performing:
>>  //   return definition.getLocation()
>>  somewidget.getLocation()
>>
>>WDYT?
>>

>Until now I tried to hide the fact that widgets have an underlying definition equivalent.
I don't have any particular reason for it, except that it might allow widgets which don't
have a definition equivalent. This is currently already somewhat the case with the RepeaterRow.

Agree. +1 for adding getLocation() on Widget (implemented internally by
asking the definition when applicable), but -1 for adding getDefinition().

Sylvain