cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Hartmann <andr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Converging the repository concept in cocoon
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2003 11:14:07 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

[...]

>> Well, yeah. I thought JCR was supposed to be this "Repository.java"? Why
>> not just use that? Do we really need another layer?
>

> I think so, yes. JCR is incredibly powerful, but exactly because of this
> power, it feels a little "low level". JCR is sort of a virtual
> hypergranular file system with multidimensions. Think of it as a
> persistent DOM with enhanced serializing and query functionalities.
>
> I think you will always need a sort of "application oriented API" on top
> of JCR... just like you need business objects on top of a relational
> database.

On lenya-dev there are some discussions about switching
from java.io repository access to an abstract repository
API. We considered JCR, but if there will be another
application-oriented API for Cocoon above JCR in any case,
this would certainly make things easier.

 From the Lenya point of view, I think it would look
like

| Complex Lenya CMS operations                |
| Lenya CMS API                               |
| Cocoon repository API                       |
| Whatever repository (e.g., JCR)             |

Do you think it would make sense to consider Lenya
interests when designing this application-oriented API?

-- Andreas