cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Apache-korea.org (Cocoon tools)
Date Fri, 05 Dec 2003 09:16:04 GMT
On Dec 4, 2003, at 11:36 AM, Arje Cahn wrote:

>> I had a great laugh when I saw a screenshot of my own sitemap
>> tracer application, copied in a Korean version, rebuilt and
>> downloadable on the cocoon.apache-korea.org website
>> (http://cocoon.apache-korea.org/application/c-tracer.html)..
>> I have no problems with them taking my idea, but since they
>> are posting it under the Apache flag, I was wondering wheter
>> they will commit it back to the *real* apache CVS as well?

IIRC, your own sitemap tracer trial never made it into Cocoon CVS
neither? So him copying some aspects of it is hardly an ASF concern
(nor is your point really about the copying, of course).

About the 'abuse' of the Apache/Cocoon name/logo on that Korean
website.... it's a complicated thing IMHO. Imitation is a sincere form
of flattery, but as long as we don't have Asian-versed community
members, we will not be able to judge the quality of his work anyhow. I
sometimes have the feeling they are using a "different internet"
somehow, and that it is very hard to see both worlds meet. The fact
people use Anakia and Forrest, and those tools come default with Apache
skins, doesn't help with this neither - we make it trivially easy to
create a site which has an ASF/Cocoon look&feel. I don't think we
should suspect anything malicious behind the use of the default skin.

About the tools thing: +1, but not as some cocoon
scratchpad/subproject/cvs module thing which is is sneakily slipped
under the door: if it comes to Apache and had been coded outside, and
it has little community, incubation is the only entrance IMHO. If the
incubator sucks, we should go and and talk with them about changing
their rules. About cocoondev.org: I'm all ears, if code and community
exist somehow.

Cheers,

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org