cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [heads up!] JClark does it again!
Date Wed, 24 Dec 2003 04:14:14 GMT

On 23 Dec 2003, at 18:32, Andrew Savory wrote:

> On 24 Dec 2003, at 01:53, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>> We are escaping the gravitational attraction of XMLSchema.. slowy,
>> but we are.
>
> To a "published" standard that you have to pay for? No thanks!

So, let's see, you would much rather have all your CD burner vendors
come up with their own specification on how to burn CDs much like DVDs
did? or wait, you want a non-ISO way to encode dates? or to encode
charsets? or country code and names?

should I continue?

Yes, ISO documents are payware. Did this prevent people from
implementing a ISO-9660 file system driver to read CD-ROMs?

Of course, it would be better to have all those ISO documents available
for free.. and I'm sure they will do, pretty soon, since it's a thing
of the past and those organization take forever to change the way they
do things because it impacts their workflow and their mindsets.

ISO documents are payware if you get them from the source, but they
are, AFAIK, freely redistributable. I never had a hard time finding
SGML-related ISO standards on the net and I'm pretty sure ISO doesn't
run against who redistributes them.

But if you are better off with crap just because the add says it's free
(as in beer), well, this is (supposed to be) a free (as in speech)
world after all. You won't be the first to fall into this marketing
trap (free up front, pay the price later).... stores have been doing
this for ages.

--
Stefano.