cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Unico Hommes" <Un...@hippo.nl>
Subject RE: cvs commit: cocoon-2.2/src/java/org/apache/cocoon/components/treeprocessor sitemap2xconf.xsl
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2003 10:17:10 GMT

Geoff Howard wrote:

> unico@apache.org wrote:
>
> > unico       2003/11/30 13:16:15
> >
> >   Modified:    src/java/org/apache/cocoon/components/treeprocessor
> >                         sitemap2xconf.xsl
> >   Log:
> >   act semantics and view registry
>
> I've been wondering where all this stands - is there some "todo" list
> somewhere?  Is there anywhere others can jump in and help?

I've been meaning to write a progress report on this so might as well
take the opertunity now. I've not had any time to put into this for the
last three weeks except for a few hours yesterday and don't see much
spare time to dedicate in the coming two weeks either :-(. So if someone
were willing and has some time on their hands, they are most welcome to
jump in.

The migration to Fortress of the TreeProcessor code itself is mostly
done, it needs to be tested. The o.a.c.c.treeprocessor package is mostly
done wrt merging the ProcessingNodes with their builders. Old code must
still be deleted. The sitemap2xconf.xsl is there but still needs some
polishing. (My XSL skills are very basic so probably someone should see
what can be improved). LocationAugmentationPipe is in place and untested
(it's for keeping the location information previous to sitemap2xconf
transformation) Remains the treeprocessor.sitemap package and all the
ProcessingNodes in there.

Some ProcessingNodes from the previous version of the treeprocessor will
have no equivalent in the componentized treeprocessor. Simple container
nodes such as <views>, <resources>, <action-sets>, <sitemap> can be
skipped. Some processing nodes will probably become obsolete:
SimpleSelectorProcessingNode, CategoryNode?.

I've been thinking about how to handle views and it seems that things
are a bit more complicated if you want to have view inheritance for
instance. Unfortunately you won't get that entirely for free as Sylvain
suggested in his RT. I believe some kind of ParentAware-ness remains
inevitable.

With this in mind I was working on factoring out some view related code
from treebuilder yesterday. I've created ViewRegistry component for
this. Basically, sitemap2xconf.xsl gathers labels from sitemap
components and view wiring info from the views themselves and puts it in
the view-registry configuration. ViewRegistry just reads the
configuration and provides a getViewsForStatement service method that
can be used by PipelineEventComponentProcessingNodes. Something similar
needs to be done for pipeline hints I imagine.

There probably loads more to tell that I can't remember right now. Feel
free to ask on anything particular or non particular :-)

Cheers, Unico