cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Changing the copyright year :-D
Date Wed, 31 Dec 2003 14:11:47 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Le Mercredi, 31 déc 2003, à 13:25 Europe/Zurich, Antonio Gallardo a écrit :
>
>> ...I also noted there are some files that currently has:
>>
>> 1999-2002 in the portal block, hssf serializer (poi block) + some on
>> slop,
>> qdox files
>>
>> Can I changed this too?
>

> IANAL but I think so.
>
> In fact it would be more practical to say "1999-present" instead of
> having to change this every year but I don't know if it would be ok from
> a legal point of view.
>
> Thoughts?

Legally, copyrights held  by corporations last for something like 50 years
(in the US).  For individuals it lasts for the life of the individual + 50
years.

The critical date is the date of origination.

Truth be told, the only time a copyright notice should be altered or changed
is when the work has changed.  The copyright dates should be set to the
origination date, and the date any _significant_ chnages have been made.

You would then have dates like (c) 1999, 2001, 2004

The earliest any of the source files would be public domain (no legal protection
whatsoever) would be 2049--and technology would so far surpass them that they
would be useless by that time.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin