cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Geoff Howard <coc...@leverageweb.com>
Subject Re: Changing the copyright year :-D
Date Wed, 31 Dec 2003 12:34:29 GMT
Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I am already changed the copyright year of all notices of the source files
> from:
>
> 1999-2003 to 1999-2004
>
> I also noted there are some files that currently has:
>
> 1999-2002 in the portal block, hssf serializer (poi block) + some on slop,
> qdox files
>
> Can I changed this too?

I have a question about this - I have always understood copyrights to
_begin_ in the year the code was authored, but to extend out into the
future based on whatever applicable laws (life of the author, 30 years,
whatever).  So why would there ever be an "end date" on the copyright
year at all?  I have assumed that the only meaningful interpretation of
a range of dates for copyright year is that the _start_ date of the
copyright - that is, the date of authorship - has spanned the years
mentioned.  If that's the case, there should be no need to edit a date
unless you are editing the file.  Unfortunately, I have almost never
remembered or even thought to do that.  I guess keyword substitution in
cvs could fix this somehow - anyone have any apache-compatible
experience with this?  Anyone know what official apache guidance says?

Geoff