cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@upaya.co.uk>
Subject Re: [HEADSUP] Cocoon Ant Task
Date Wed, 24 Dec 2003 09:45:05 GMT
Laurent Mauron wrote:

>Upayavira,
>
>That sounds very interesting. I am not familiar with Ant and other standard
>java tools. What's the advantage of wrapping the cocoon cli with an ant
>task?

You aren't actually 'wrapping', you're 'replacing'. The Ant task does
much the same as the CLI - it interfaces with Cocoon via the CocoonBean.

The benefits of using Ant are the array of Ant tasks that are available
to you - tasks to copy files, unpack archives, send files by FTP, SCP,
doing XSLT transformations, checking into/out of CVS, etc, etc. Around
the functionality of Cocoon you can build a more powerful deployment
system using the lego blocks that Ant provides.

In many ways, I see the Ant task overtaking the CLI as the recommended
way to access Cocoon's offline functionality, because of this
flexibility within Ant.

Also, because Cocoon is running within the same JVM as Ant, there is a
minimal impact in terms of using Ant - Ant itself being relatively
lightweight (the JVM startup being the slow part). So, to my mind, you
get many benefits with few drawbacks.

To really make the CocoonTask integrate with Ant, and make it really
useful, I suspect it will need a few enhancements. For example, the
xconf language it uses (and shares with the cli.xconf) doesn't really
offer much support for the list of URIs to generate to have been created
by a previous Ant task. So, when people start actively using the
CocoonTask, I suspect it will want some improvement. But lets see the
use cases emerge before we do anything.

I have already written some basic docs for the CocoonTask. I've just got
to make sure they're valid xdocs before I can commit them - hopefully
within a week or so.

I hope this answers your question.

Regards, Upayavira